Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Voting Independently

Yesterday I went and voted early. Although most anyone who has had any type of political conversation with me for more then three minutes is likely to know exactly how I voted, because I used an accessible voting machine no one but me can be certain of how I voted. Since the introduction of accessible voting machines in 2006 I have been able to vote independently. For those who take this for granted I would suggest they think how they would feel if, no matter how well meaning, they had to rely on someone of the opposite political view to mark your ballot. For some this is a necessity, but not for the blind. The accessible voting machine I used had buttons clearly marked in Braille, and I was able to operate it easily in mere moments. The selection of my choices on the machine was straightforward, and once I understood the layout of how each race was run I was able to quickly and easily select my options. I reviewed the ballot and submitted it, all within twenty minutes.

I am happy to have voted in 2012, and I am almost as pleased to have been able to do so independently and easily. I hope everyone who votes, particularly the blind, may have an equally straightforward experience. Remember, if you don't vote, you can't rant.

No comments: